Sunday, March 26, 2006

Being an Aunt

When I began for praying for a mate all those years ago (it really does seem like long ago at times), I prayed for a guy who had brothers or sisters. Now, that was not my only criteria...there are much more important things to be asking the Lord for in a man, but it was on the "negotiables" list for me. See, the point is, I wanted to be an AUNT. Since I am an only child, that wasn't going to happen unless I married a guy with siblings. I am one of the oldest grandchildren on both sides of the family, so from the time I was 8 years old, I had younger cousins. I can remember the way my mom looked and treated them and it was just "cool" to be an aunt. I also remember how special my aunts are to me. I have 4 aunts - 3 on my dad's side and 1 on my mom's side. These woman have helped shape me to the woman I am today. I am very close with one of my aunts...she was 17 when I was born, and I view our relationship sometimes more like she is my sister instead of my aunt. We just have a good bond. Every summer, from the time her kids were little, I would go and stay with them and help her with the kids and of course, this got me out of the house too. I remember those days like it was yesterday! I know I learned some valuable training about holding a baby's head, feeding and burping babies, and the important thing...boys. I have all boy cousins...no girls, just me! The Lord just knew that years later I would receive a baby boy of my own. :) My aunt, Elaina, showed me more than just life with kids, she has been married to Paul for 25 years this month! Congratulations! Jeremy and I love calling you family and are grateful for your open heart and home.
Well, when the Lord began leading Jeremy and I together, on the very first date I was thrilled to know that Jeremy had 3 sisters and 1 brother! YES! He must be the one! :) Now, I didn't think that just because he had siblings...there were many other reasons...later posts for a later date.
So, when we married, I instantly became an aunt. I am the proud aunt of 3 nephews and 3 nieces, and...my sister-in-law, Amanda, is pregnant!!! I couldn't be more thrilled. She gave a comment in my recent post and she even called me personally to tell me. I was so honored that she did that...it made my day.
See, what my sister-in-laws, Laura, Shani, and Amanda don't know is I consider them my sisters. I don't have any, so they are it! If you have ever seen my s-i-l, Laura, you might actually think we are sisters. We look very similar and have been mistaken for sisters on more than one occasion. I love that!! So, as the months progress, the extended Greer family will be anxious to welcome another baby into the world. (This will make 3 years in a row for that - Jeremy and I in 2004, my b-i-l, Tim and his wife, Katie welcomed Andrew in Oct 2005). Please pray for my s-i-l and her husband and their almost 4-year old son...they like in Arkansas. Pray as the months continue that God would give her body strength, and grant them all peace, no matter what happens.
Thank you to my aunts and thank you for allowing me to be an aunt.
Grace and peace to you all.

No comments: